www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

Wenzel and TexSport cast Iron cook ware
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Around the Campfire
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rhibbs

PostPosted: Sunday 10-23-2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Wenzel and TexSport cast Iron cook ware Reply with quote

I have not used my dutch ovens for any thing but cobbler, except one time when I did a roast which turned out Good.

I never paid that much attention to the size or brand of my ovens or skillets.

I once was considered for the show Life stiles of the Not So Rich and Famous, so of course my equipment came form Walmart, Sam's, and Gander Mountain.

My first Dutch oven purchase was two 10" ovens. They have no legs and no coal rings on the lids. They have TIWON stamped on the bottom. These ovens are thin, light weight but seam to cook well (Stuff scorches easily)

My second purchase was two 12 " Tex-Sport ovens form Gander Mountain. These ovens are heavy, have legs, coal ring and cook well, I like these ovens. These are the ones I cooked the roast in.

I bought two 14" cast Iron skillets at Gander Mountain. I love these skillets, they are heavy and cook well. I think that they are Tex-Sport as well.

I bought a set of Wenzel cast Iron cook ware form Sam's. It came in a wood box. it has two skillets, a griddle, and a dutch oven (10" I think). The dutch oven dose not have the legs but it does have the coal ring. It has what I thought was wire legs to set in the fire, however I after reading the post on this site I now think it is the trivet / rack. It also contains a lid lifter.

I have other various skillets that I got at garage sails, given to me... I will check for brands on them at some other time.

It would appear that the only piece I had with a sought after or respected name was the Wagner 1910 Waffle Iron that I sold. I do not regret selling that I saw pictures of the food coming off of it.

I am curious about the Wenzel and Tex-Sport brands, I think they work great, but I have nothing to compare them to. Does any one know how they stack up to Lodge? how bout Where they are made.

I may be intrested in getting some 14" before long, and will probably be getting some for the Cub Scouts. I looked at some form Academy The other day and they were rough and thin, I do not think I will be getting any of these.

I did look at a 22" Maca online, To get it, personlize the lid, and ship it the stinking thing would cost about $500.00. Then I would have to hire two men to carry it around for me!!!! 160 lbs empty Frightened
Paul

PostPosted: Sunday 10-23-2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wanting a Maca just to have one - maybe the 10x14 oval. The divider intrigues me... lol. Shipping is always going to be costly though.

As for brands - it's an age old argument! Shy Smile I'm sure you'll get an earful of why one brand is so much better than another. Hey... if it works for you and fits your budget, it's the best brand for you.

I've been trying to curb my purchases by only buying pots & pans I will use. I also try to make a point of using all of them, even it's just once a year. I recently sold my Camp Chef TDO20 (Ultimate Turkey Roaster) as I haven't used it in a couple of years. The collecting bug is very easy to catch, but I'd sooner see the iron in use rather than collecting dust and rust.
BigCAT

PostPosted: Sunday 10-23-2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most brands are made in China, including TexSport and Wenzel. They all cook. Quality control can be hit or miss. If you watch for sales or the occasional inventory at Costco and Sam's Club, you can buy Lodge just as inexpensively as the Chinese ovens. I prefer to support the (to my knowledge) last remaining *made in USA* dutch oven supplier.

Amazon.com is a great place to watch for sales. Buy the iron on your terms. Wait for the price you're willing to pay. This doesn't always work when you need something for an upcoming event, but otherwise.... Thumbs Up

sportchalet.com has the Lodge 14Deep for $89.99 everyday plus free shipping for orders over $75. So that's a good price to start your comparisons. Thinking

Last edited by BigCAT on Sunday 10-23-2011 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
rhibbs

PostPosted: Sunday 10-23-2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The value is in its performance to me. For some reason I thought my Tex-Sports Were Lodge. I guess I have never used a Lodge. I would like to replace the 10" cheap ovens with good ones that have legs and coal rings. I would also like to get a couple of 14". I would not hesitate to get The Tex-Sports or winzle again. They have served me well, I just noticed I haven't herd those named here before.
rhibbs

PostPosted: Sunday 10-23-2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigCAT wrote:
Most brands are made in China, including TexSport and Wenzel. They all cook. Quality control can be hit or miss. If you watch for sales or the occasional inventory at Costco and Sam's Club, you can buy Lodge just as inexpensively as the Chinese ovens. I prefer to support the (to my knowledge) last remaining *made in USA* dutch oven supplier.

Amazon.com is a great place to watch for sales. Buy the iron on your terms. Wait for the price you're willing to pay. This doesn't always work when you need something for an upcoming event, but otherwise.... Thumbs Up

Made in America still means something to me. I am in the want stage not the need stage. I will probably start looking for some used ones.
BigCAT

PostPosted: Sunday 10-23-2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhibbs wrote:
Made in America still means something to me. I am in the want stage not the need stage. I will probably start looking for some used ones.

While you're looking......Texaloy Foundry Company used to make a 14" dutch oven with a big star on the lid. MADE IN TEXAS!! Gold Tooth Smile: Gold Tooth Smile:
rhibbs

PostPosted: Sunday 10-23-2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigCAT wrote:
rhibbs wrote:

While you're looking......Texaloy Foundry Company used to make a 14" dutch oven with a big star on the lid. MADE IN TEXAS!! Gold Tooth Smile: Gold Tooth Smile:

14" made in Texas should equal a 20" made else where shouldn't it?
rhibbs

PostPosted: Sunday 10-23-2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhibbs wrote:
BigCAT wrote:
rhibbs wrote:

14" made in Texas should equal a 20" made else where shouldn't it?

I got on the Texaloy Foundry site. They do not have any information about the Dutch oven but they have one sweet cast iron grill.

http://www.texaloy.com/
BIGDADDYBR549

PostPosted: Sunday 10-23-2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Bigcat, it didn't take Robert D. Hibbs long to throw that "Bigger in Texas" out did it. Don't worry Robert, if I lived in Texas, I'd throw it too. I am real partial to Lodge. If you will call the Lodge Outlet store in Commerce GA at 706-335-4875 and ask for Von, she can put you on her email list for seconds. I bought most of mine new but have bought some of their seconds for myself and to give to some of the Scout troops that needed iron and have been very happy with it. I haven't gotten anything that was not useable, usually a flaw in the finnishing which doesn't even get noticed by the scouts.They are usually 50-60 percent of cost. Bigcat, I don't think Texaloy is making the 14" with the star, I've been looking for one on Ebay, but have seen one. They only thing they have is their grill on the website.
rhibbs

PostPosted: Sunday 10-23-2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

American by birth, Texan By the Grace of GOD. Cool

However I am a poor Texan Shhh so I apricate your information, I will get with her.
p1roger

PostPosted: Sunday 10-23-2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert, I have it double bad. I'm a user and a collector of cast iron. I love the really old stuff. I do stay away from the foreign stuff, but lots of people use them. Camp Chef, Texsport and others are used by many people and I don't hear many complaints other than making sure to get a good fitting lid. For me though, when it comes to camp ovens the new Lodge ones are my favorites. I've bought several seconds from their outlets and use them all the time. This website Katom has really good prices and has excellent customer service. http://restaurant-supplies.katom.com/cat/lodge-logic-camp-dutch-ovens.html I definitely understand about the prices. They have gone way up in the past several years. I still seem to find some bargains at estate sales and flea markets. You can also check Craigslist and Goodwill online as they sometimes have bargains as well.
Pony Rider

PostPosted: Sunday 10-23-2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's time for one more to chime in here lodge is fine. But CAMP-CHEF is just as LODGE I own both as well as texsport, worldfamus and old collectables. Like said earlier if it fits your pocket book and it works fine then use it. Have some without coal rings you can use a trivet then you can use a link of chain or a rolled up piece of tin foil for your coal ring. Myself I would use camp-chef because they are right here in Utah. Some of lodge is made over the big pond as well, this is just my2 bits worth

Hope to see ya on the trail
rhibbs

PostPosted: Sunday 10-23-2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information guys. I found it a tad bit confusing that Lodge was the only existing American manufacture of cast iron cook were when there is a brand such as TexSport. A fellow could assume that that sucker was made here in Texas. Of course That is exactly what they want you to think I suppose. I like my ovens, except for the 10" no names, but even those would be OK for just a cook pot on the camp stove. I think I will look around for some used cook ware.
Corwin C

PostPosted: Sunday 10-23-2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a TexSport and like many others I have issues with the lid fitting tightly and it pops and pings when I'm using it. It has been relegated to being my "last resort" oven since it looses all the moisture in whatever I cook in it and I'm afraid one of these times it's going to crack somewhere. The texture of the casting is less pleasant to deal with as well (both cooking and cleaning.) I won't spend my hard earned dollars on another, but many have had good success with them.

I love my Lodges, the Camp Chef is very good, and I have an antique (it's been in the family for about 50 years, otherwise, unknown origin, no markings) that somehow refuses to mess up anything I put in it (must have had a good trainer in the distant past.) A good friend has a MACA and I'm saving my pennies to get one of my own (customized of course with my name on the lid.) MACA's are a whole different animal being thicker, deeper, and HEAVY.

I know that MACA is made in Springville, Utah, I am fairly certain that Camp Chef is USA made as well (the company is based here in Logan, Utah) and Lodge is made in the USA. To me it's worth the extra dollars to get American made, high quality iron.
rhibbs

PostPosted: Sunday 10-23-2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have researched the Internet all afternoon and evening on the TexSport cast iron cookware. I know I bought them about 10 years ago. I have had no problem with them.

Every one on this site says that they are made in China, one other site said that as well.

The sites that are selling them say they are American Made.

There web site does not say where they are made at all.

I know that several American companies have pulled out of China recently. I wonder if that may be true here. That would explain the lower quality some have experienced for a while. Thinking

Ether way I think I will not order off of the net. I want to see and feel the cast before I buy. I looked at the store brand at Academy the other day and I would not have one of those, They are obviously thin, light weight and rough. I would much rather get a good used one than one of those. Thumbs Down
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Around the Campfire All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: