www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

DIY Coal Screen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Around the Campfire
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joanne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thursday 12-28-2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: DIY Coal Screen Reply with quote

So here's a little DIY for those of you who like such things. Gold Tooth Smile:

Some foods have longer cooking time that requires us to replace the coals sometime in the cooking process. I don't like to leave ash on the lid when I replace the coals. A friend of mine had made a coal screen that he really liked. I decided I had to have one so I went home and made my own.

The concept is simple. An old propane tank with the top cut off and a metal screen to allow the ash to fall through.

I cut a ring so that the screen is removable and the canister can be easily emptied.

I shoveled the coals off of the oven and onto the screen.

I jostle the coals around a bit to shake off all the ash the shovel the coals back on the oven lid.

Charcoal isn't THAT expensive but I hate to waste it. This is an easy way to get full use of your coals.

Warning!!

If you decide to make one of these using an old propane tank, make certain that you know what you are doing before you cut into the tank! I remove the valve and fill the tank with water to expel all of the gas. I drained the tank before cutting into it with my angle grinder. You can make a similar coal screen using a small metal trash can or other metal container.

Joanne
Aggroman
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Friday 12-29-2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool. I like that idea.

Thumbs Up
wolfy

PostPosted: Saturday 1-13-2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a great idea....I like it! Thumbs Up I don't like adding lid coals without dumping ash, either.

Another idea along these lines is a shovel with an expanded-metal screen that has been welded into a rectangular 'window' that you cut out & weld to the INSIDE of a cheap, square-ended shovel bottom. If you weld it to the outside of the shovel, it won't slide on the ground as well. In my case, I use mostly hardwood coals (I'm cheap), but it works great with briquettes, too. When I get ready to add new coals, I dump all of the ash and partially burned coals on the ground and then scoop 'em back up & onto the lid again. The ashes will fall through the screen and then you're good to go again.

Works for me. Thumbs Up
J2

PostPosted: Sunday 1-14-2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if a metal kitty litter scoop would do the same thing?
I can hear my cat saying "Hey - Why don't you clean my box every 45 minutes like you do the fire?" :Smile 1:
wolfy

PostPosted: Monday 1-15-2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For briquettes, I'm sure it would; however, a long-handled, square-ended shovel keeps me further from the heat while scooping hardwood coals out of my main fire trench or keyhole fireplace. I don't like wearing the heavy gauntlet-style gloves (that are sold by Lodge and others) for protection against high heat when I cook outdoors. That's why God made the Mair lid lifter! Usually, it is hot outside when I cook during the summer months anyway, and gloves just add to my miseries. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Around the Campfire All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: