www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

Propane Fire Bowl

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Campfire Cooking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cavman

PostPosted: Sunday 4-30-2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Propane Fire Bowl Reply with quote

I thought I was the last person in the world that would have a propane camp fire. Living in the Pacific Northwest I have had ample supplies of Douglas Fir for home heating and camping all my life. Now after divorce in my early fifties and many life changes, I am living in my 5th wheel in a nice RV park on the bay. I have lived this way almost a year now and have had many changes in how I would make myself comfortable. Because the park does not allow any wood fires, I reluctantly started looking at propane fire bowls, purchasing one a couple months ago.

My daughter had bought me a Lodge tripod for Christmas of 2015. I used it for the first time last night. I wanted to share my experience as I had searched the internet with great effort, not to find a single mention of DO cooking over a propane fire pit.

I was amazed at how easy the heat control was between adjusting the chain and the fire level with a dial control. I gave the firebowl a half hour time for the pumice rock to start putting out radiant heat before getting serious about temperatures in the DO.

Even though it was a first time experience, I produced what is probably the best pot of chili I ever made. It was tri tip Habanero, and my 15 year old daughter agreed, best ever. I used my 12 inch Lodge 6 Qt standard for the cook. My daughter really enjoyed the attention we got from neighbors with the unique cooking on my patio. It was the first nice day in some time and people were out walking around and couldn't help but see what was going on.

I have got to say, I really enjoy my propane campfire. If you have restrictions or reservations about one, the only things that are missing are prodding at the coals with a stick and a lot of hard work with a chainsaw and a ax. At the end of the night you just turn it off when your done! Overall I would say extremely compatible with a DO.
J2

PostPosted: Monday 5-1-2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cavman,

Thanks for sharing your experience with the propane.

I've used my DO's over my Camp Chef one burner propane stove, so it would make perfect sense to use them over a propane fire pit.

Joanne (J2)
CWallyD
Pied Piper of Cast Iron

PostPosted: Tuesday 5-2-2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can use the fire pan for the kiddies to roast marshmallows hot dogs and use the pie irons.
CWallyD
Pied Piper of Cast Iron

PostPosted: Tuesday 5-2-2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can use the fire pan for the kiddies to roast marshmallows hot dogs and use the pie irons.
Cast Iron Dave

PostPosted: Sunday 6-11-2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a retired guy and old DO cook I bought a gas ring this year for camping with my trailer. At State parks and USFS in Ca they seem to do everything they can to stop campfires.Where did you get your wood?, it's a drought year, wet winter -too much fuel ! Thanks for the suggestion....................
Joanne
Site Admin

PostPosted: Monday 11-20-2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't purchased one but it makes perfect sense when there are fire restrictions. I seem to be a campfire smoke magnet so there is a certain appeal.

Joanne
dmb90260

PostPosted: Tuesday 11-21-2017 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Little Red Campfire recommended by many teardropper friends with limited space. It came with some cheap looking faux logs that broke easily.

I replaced them with some glass beads for Costco.. I have seen them at some hardware stores also. Adds a bit of weight but the fire is much prettier.

just remember to bring along your Dutch Ovens!!

The Buzz In The Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260

PostPosted: Wednesday 11-22-2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine does have a small grill that could hold a couple burgers or hot dogs. Lots of fire but I would not count on it holding much more than a small CI skillet.
just remember to bring along your Dutch Ovens!!

The Buzz In The Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Campfire Cooking All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: