www.camp-cook.com Forum Index www.camp-cook.com
Home of the REAL iron chefs!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Event CalendarEvent Calendar  email Joanneemail Joanne    T&TTTT&TTT    TearjerkersTearjerkers   How to Post PhotosHow To Post Photos

MACAs -- Game on!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Dutch Oven Cooking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cwguy

PostPosted: Monday 9-26-2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: MACAs -- Game on!!! Reply with quote

It looks like MACA is making Dutch Ovens again...

Here is the text that I got from Happy Camper today:

Hi Everyone!!

HOT!! Hot!! News!! Maca Dutch Ovens

I want to get this out so that you are aware that Maca has agreed to make 15, 17, 22 and the 12 x 16 x 9 Oval dutch ovens for A Happy Camper. They only catch is that we have to have 20 people that want them before they will do an order. However, I have ordered the 17 Maca Dutch Ovens and they will be in around the middle of January. What I am doing is making a list and then when we have 20 I place the order and charge your card. Then it is about 3 months before they get to Utah and are shipped. Now is the time to get your order in and on the lists.

http://www.ahappycamper.com/products/dutch_ovens/maca/index.html

For those of you have seen this on our face book page sorry to the double duty here but this is BIG NEWS!!

Hope all is well with you and your families!! Thanks Donna
Quarterbore

PostPosted: Tuesday 9-27-2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on their mail list too but just now got around to placing my order. I already have the 13 and 17-inch and the smaller 8x12 oval so I am using this opportunity to buy the big oval (12x16x9).

I hate to admit that had I been a little more patient I could have bought three and a half new 17s for what I paid for the one I have (mine is a USA made one to be fair however)

Shhh

Regardless, I predict this may be a very limited opportunity and I came to share the good news too.
OldFrenchy

PostPosted: Tuesday 1-10-2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone received their MACA ovens from the special order that AHappyCamper was running and some participated in? I was just wondering about the fit and finish of the final product. I expect to receive mine around March.
UncleMJM

PostPosted: Sunday 1-15-2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 17 came in yesterday.
OldFrenchy

PostPosted: Sunday 1-15-2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How was the fit and finish? Is the lid tight?
UncleMJM

PostPosted: Sunday 1-15-2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldFrenchy wrote:
How was the fit and finish? Is the lid tight?

I'm quite satisfied with it.

The finish is very much like I anticipated, a bit rougher than my Lodge Ovens and similar in texture to my son's Camp Chef. The wall thickness seemed consistent throughout and this baby is heavy. The lid seemed to fit well to with no rocking or visible gaps. I can't wait to get something steaming in it to see how well it really seals.

Now to figure out how to season this monster.
OldFrenchy

PostPosted: Tuesday 1-17-2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, UncleMJM. I was a little worried, but the die is cast (iron) regardless!
Trapper

PostPosted: Wednesday 1-18-2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my Maca DO. It's a beast though. It weighs 80 pounds empty.

Cooking a stuffed turkey in it is pretty easy. I stuff the turkey just like you would in a regular oven. I then put it in a turkey cooking bag. It helps keep it juicy, prevents burning, and makes cleanup a snap.

This was a 22 lb bird. It was on the coals for a little over four hours.

I season it the same way I season all new iron. I coat it with Crisco, put it upside down on a couple small bars I put on the grill of my propane grill, put the greased lid on the feet, turn on the propane full, wait until the grill hits max temp, and then leave it for an hour.

I then turn off the grill and let the DO cool. I then re-Crisco it and repeat the process.

Then, the first few times I use it, I don't cook anything acidic like tomato sauce.

Trapper
Quarterbore

PostPosted: Friday 1-20-2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trapper wrote:

I season it the same way I season all new iron. I coat it with Crisco, put it upside down on a couple small bars I put on the grill of my propane grill, put the greased lid on the feet, turn on the propane full, wait until the grill hits max temp, and then leave it for an hour.

I then turn off the grill and let the DO cool. I then re-Crisco it and repeat the process.

Then, the first few times I use it, I don't cook anything acidic like tomato sauce.

Trapper

Good thing you described your "usual" process as my favorite is to cook up a couple loads of bacon. In the 17- inch MACA I could go broke buying enough bacon Razz

I already own the 13 and 17 inch MACA ovens but waiting on a 15-inch with the new orders. I wonder if I will regret not getting the 22-inch some day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.camp-cook.com Forum Index -> Dutch Oven Cooking All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: